28.03.2024, 21:17 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
rich.bradshaw
Titel: Which packages can't you live without?  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 14:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Jan 2006

When you install, what are the first packages you install? Should these be included in future versions?

Personally I always apt-get

openoffice
nano
a certain video player
an upgrade of amaroK - if one exists!
gtk2-engines-gtk-qt (Seems to make firefox look better, as well as several other programs)
nano
firestarter
kanotix-update-gui
vmplayer

on top of all the normal packages.

How about you?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
jesseman
Titel: RE: Which packages can  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 16:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Feb 2006
I agree on:

nano
gtk2-engines-gtk-qt

But must add:

aterm
irssi
conky
lineak
sylpheed

horo
Titel: RE: Which packages can  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 17:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
Hi,

my add-ons are synaptic, frozen-bubble, python-serial, gtk2-engines-gtk-qt and some packages from **censored** Winken

Ciao Martin

h2
Titel: RE: Which packages can  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 18:15 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

nano, first thing I install. Nano should absolutely be included in all distros as far as I'm concerned, expecting anyone to debug any issue requiring a dip into console mode with a text editor and vi is a fantasy, great as vi probably is, it doesn't help you to look at a totally blank screen with no indication whatsoever of what your next step is. Nano is very userfriendly, small, works great, and is fairly intuitive, most options are listed under text display, easy to use.

Of all the apps that kanotix comes with, this is the only one I can think of that really should be added to the install package, it's just too useful for too many users to be left out. Only decently expert users can deal with vi, I know I can't even remember the simplest commands when I open it, even though I've learned them a few times. Leave vi for expert users, and add nano for realworld users.

gtk2-engines-gtk-qt, I had massively huge problems with this, well known issues it turned out, with firefox, total crashes on desktop switching. If you have not installed this, don't. If you're lucky enough to have it work with firefox I'll assume you aren't using desktops very much, or that you're just plain lucky, or that the bugs have been fixed. I won't touch that product again for a long long time though.

lm-sensors, ksensors, nice to monitor hardware, fan control to handle cpu fan speed live.

Not all mobos support these.

Nice program, but with bugs, filelight, great app that lets you dig into your filesystem and find where those gigabytes have gone to in very well designed gui.

digikam wasn't in cebit, not sure about easter, that's a must have if it's not in, another kde killer app.

Too many other apps to remember. Filezilla alpha is nice but not ready for prime time.

Humboldt
Titel: This is mine setup  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 18:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Feb 2005
First thing I install is Guarddog and Clamav.
Then I UNINSTALL the following

amarok* amarok-arts* amarok-engines* amarok-gstreamer* amarok-xine*
libmusicbrainz4c2a* libtunepimp2c2a*
libtunepimp3* mozilla-thunderbird*

Then I INSTALL the following

mp3blaster cdcd abcde
msttcorefonts gtk2-engines-gtk-qt
dvipng lesstif2 libgd2-noxpm libkpathsea4 libt1-5
tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-doc
tetex-extra tex-common texinfo xpdf-reader
vim-latexsuite dvilx

And I also install the dvd..thing etc..not allowed to mention here...yeah...long live fredom of speach....

To me crap like amarok and other gui music playing etc stuff could be removed by default. mp3blaster rules...

Cheers

rich.bradshaw
Titel: This is mine setup  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 19:12 Uhr

no! amaroK is the most amazing thing ever!

got any suggestions for where I can learn latex? I am doing a maths degree and think it would prob be very useful... equation editor in microsoft word doesn't really cut it...

Yeah, nano should def be included - Kano suggests using xedit (which is included) instead, but I still prefer nano. I don't really like using X if i'm working with the CLI.

Humboldt
Titel: LaTex  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 19:31 Uhr

Hi!

Fot LaTex a start could be

http://www.latex-project.org/

Cheers

michael7
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 19:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
horo,

I too have packages from **censored**. (Tried to make a donation. He replied that he didn't take donations, that he was doing it for fun. If the quality of his work is an indication of how much fun he's having, then he's a very happy guy!)

vi, vim, nano all have their advocates. I like mcedit. It's a package I can't live without. As a Java programmer, I use gcj, the GNU Java compiler, with kdevelop. gcj is better than jdk in my opinion, because I can compile Java code into native machine language. Sure, it's not as portable, but there are times when you're building something for yourself and portability isn't an issue. So, my "must have" packages are:

mcedit
gcj
kdevelop

ice
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 20:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Feb 2005

My approach is different. I started from a full Kanotix installation, got rid of all the stuff I don't need, and ended up with ca. 600 packages on 1.3GB of disk space, which includes:

- Opera
- Enemy Territory (gotta have it)
- The usual codecs
- Bunch of wireless tools

I also got rid of Java and installed qtorrent instead of Azureus (I know it's old, but I like the minimalistic interface and, since I only d/l Linux stuff, I don't need encryption or DHT).

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 20:38 Uhr

re nano, this is not a question of advocating or not. If you need a text editor and you can't boot into gui and you have still not connected to the internet so you can run apt, vi is not going to do 99% of any user out there any good at all, it's completley incomprehensible to new users, and older users like me, who would like to one day learn its ins and outs.

On the other hand, pretty much anyone can open, edit, and save a document in nano if so required to get something running. This is just user friendliness, useability, and so on, it has nothing to do with preferences, a new user would probably prefer, if stuck in console, non x, mode, to be able to do what he/she needs to do to fix the issues. vi will not help them achieve that, since first they'd have to dig up a tutorial to do anything at all with it. Not to say vi shouldn't be included, it should, for all the power users out there who know it and like it and can use it, but another one should also be included for the rest of the planet's users who have no clue at all what to do with a blank text editor interface.

If kanotix is going to have a gui installer, gui front ends for the update scripts etc, it escapes me what the logic is behind not having a useable console text editor.

Anyway, this is hard to get extreme linux power users to understand, but vi is just not a practical tool to use if you don't already know it, whereas nano can be used with basically no knowledge.

Anyway, hopefully kano will take some mercy on the non linux elite who use this great distro and include tiny little nano so we can all edit to our heart's content in console, livecd or not.

It doesn't have to be nano, could be any decently user friendly and intuitively laid out console editor, nano fits that though. I won't argue this point, since to me there is really no real reason to argue against giving users something they can actually use.

This isn't a criticism of vi, it's just noting that vi is just too hard to use for average users who need a quick fix edit in console.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von h2 am 20.05.2006, 20:44 Uhr, insgesamt 2 Male bearbeitet

ice
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 20:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Feb 2005

Zitat:

- The usual **censored** codecs

What the...

Is this a joke?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 20:45 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
h2,
mc is there already, mcedit should be userfriendly.
i looked at nano the first time today and could not do nothing, cause not even ^G would open help, as it should. i didnt look at it any further, cause i am ok with mc, but for a first timer in a console without x that would be a no go. maybe i just didnt take enough time or was just too stupid.
btw: fully agree on vi, would probably take a week to get into it halfway.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

nemesis
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 21:11 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Mai 2005
I can live with mcedit...was easy to figure out once I knew about it. I still prefer nano, though. As long as you know the ^ = <ctrl> key you are good to go, same as if in mcedit you know the number = function key of that number.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
rich.bradshaw
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 21:43 Uhr

nano is quite easy, ctrl-q is quit, ctrl-w is write etc, its all at the bottom... ^ is control. I don't use it for anything too heavy, but editing config files is very easy in it - especially if you are not in X. vi is a bit weird, but I can see that if you can use it it is good...

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 21:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

I don't need to learn nano commands, these are from wordstar which also turbo pascal used. But i see no purpose to add 10 additional editors - everybody has his own editor. mcedit is the default editor of mc, which is installed (press f4 on a file). I know that most other distros do not preinstall mc, but as former DOS user it is essential...

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 22:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
I support mc, it's essential help if you have to do something in the terminal, eg X is broken. On distributions without it (maybe it was Fedora) it was one of the first packages I installed.

hubi

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 22:49 Uhr

mcedit would be another example of a userfriendly console editor, I'd never seen that one, same idea though, list of commands on the bottom. Ok, I withdraw my nano inclusion request since mcedit fulfills the same role, it's immediately obvious how it works.

vi is cool, but to be honest, I've read tutorials, I've learned a few commands, but despite that, last week when I needed to edit something the very best I could do with it, having read that stuff in the past several times, was to remember that typing : then quit would get me out of it.

but that's neither here nor there, for those who can use it I'm sure it works very well.

Good to know about mcedit, I'd never even heard of that one, didn't realize it came with kanotix.

<heh heh, now I'm stuck in mcedit, can't get the number commands to work. I vote for nano with its always working ctrl + <letter> instead of mcedit, but that's a preference.

zmiles
Titel: CAn't live without  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 23:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Jan 2006

The programs I install immediately and would like included:
KMyMoney2
ClamAV, KlamAV
Gaim
Synaptic
OpenOffice
OpenOffice Quikstarter
Kanotix-Update-GUI

Humboldt
Titel: Editors  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 00:07 Uhr

Hi!
I guess most Linux users have a favorit editor, and as long they are happy with it it is no much to discuss. But I think there is at least one very good reason to learn at least the basics of vi (or Vim), since Vi is the standrad editor in any Unix or Linux system. If you run into trouble in a Linux box which is not your own, or if you test a new dist, you can not rely on finding nano or emacs or any of the others by defaul.

Then, besides that, use whatever editor you like - but I really do not understand all this talk about Vi (or Vim) being so difficult and hard to learn. It is not intuitive, maybe, but wat is intuitive when it comes to edit config files or working in a shell anyway?? The confusing thing about Vim is the diffrent modes, but hey, it not THAT difficult to learns some basic stuff for basic editing. Then ofcourse there is a LOT to learn if you want to learn the details. But Hey, it is an anvanced editor, and advanced things normaly takes a little bit moore to learn.

Best Reagards

rich.bradshaw
Titel: Editors  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 01:26 Uhr

Yeah, vi seems useful - and I agree, it's a standard.

As long as you know how to quit (:q) , save (:w), go in/out insert mode (i and esc) and the hjkl movement, you are probably ok for 90% of things...

Vi users - how often do you use the more advanced features, such as d3h or y10k and things like that?

Also, what does yank mean in context of vi?

michael7
Titel: vi tutorial  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 03:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
Zitat:
As long as you know how to quit (:q) , save (:w), go in/out insert mode (i and esc) and the hjkl movement, you are probably ok for 90% of things...

rich,

You have just given us the basic tutorial for vi. Thanks.

h2
Titel: RE: vi tutorial  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 06:07 Uhr

yeah, I've learned those commands several times, but I can't remember them, they just don't stick in my head, I think because vi uses a logic that nothing else I use has, it's like its own world, that's my guess why it's so hard to get used to. Everything else I've used is pretty easy to understand.

My points re vi however were not to criticize it but just to point out that it's too obscure for most users out there. I've said to myself that I should learn it, but honestly I can't think of any reason to do that, I already know how to use a whole bunch of text editors, that's all I use for programming and coding, for years. To me it's something that really just seems to be obscure for the sake of being obscure, I mean, really, how hard is it to code in a list of common commands at the bottom of the screen? I know vi purists would say that you should learn it and not waste the screen space, but since that's not a philosophy any other product I use takes, it's not one I particularly agree with, it assumes that there is a real benefit to learning a different logic for every single program in existence, that's just not realistic as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I'm happy leaving vi to vi users, it's not a real issue to me, it's just an odd relic of unix from what I can see, from a time when there probably weren't very many programs or choices out there, but that's not the case today.

craigevil
Titel: RE: vi tutorial  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 07:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Mar 2005
Hmm one that no one has stated so far , how about apt-listbugs. Running unstable without it is just asking for trouble.

It is the first thing I install followed by Synaptic, Guidedog and Kanotix-update-gui .

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
devil
Titel: RE: vi tutorial  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 07:45 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
craig,
apt-listbugs will only puzzle new users. i used it for a while, but didnt find it very usefull.
i dont use it anymore and just dist-upgrade every day. the warnings we have on the news page are more usefull imho.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

Humboldt
Titel: Editors again and the Yank command in Vim  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 09:09 Uhr

Hi again!
Yes, Vi (or Vim) can be tricky for a while untill you get used to it. I do not agree it is a relic however. Vi or Vim might be a little bit tricky, BUT when you have get used to it, you can work faster in Vim than in any other editor I have used. In fact - as long as I am not forced to use a word processor, I rather use Vim for any writing.

Nano is for sure an editor with enough capabilities for basic config editing or other basic editing needs, but compared to Vim (or Emacs) it DO miss a lot of the functions which can be handy when editing is getting advanced. And this is not an opinion but a fact. Then if the additional functions in Vim are needed in the specific case or for a specific personal need, that is another question. But for programing or "extended" system administration for example, in my opinion, forget about nano. Nano is a clone of pico, and pico was originally an editor for email purposes.

There is a new project, not mature yet, but planned to be ready for kde 4. The project is called Yzis, and its goal is to come up with a new Vi clone, very similar to Vim but not identical to Vim in every detail. Now, You could ask if the world really needs an new Vi clone, but the really new thing with Yzis, as I understand it, is that it will be possible to integrate it into KDE apps like Konquerror, Kdevelop, Quanta etc...and that will be great. (There is variant called Kvim allready, but it do not work very Well.)

bradshaw, since the power of Vim lies in its advanced functions, I use them a lot. It takes some time to learn, but when you have learnt them, you have a very powefull tool under your fingertips. However, my point in my previous above is: You don´t need to know a lot about Vim:s advanced functions to do some basic editing, and since Vim is the unix standard, I think it is a very good idea to learn the basic Vim commands.

About YANK:
Yank is more or less basically the same as copy and paste in a wordprocessor. Everything you delete with the commands d or dd OR copy with y (yank) or yy (yank lines) are copied into a register. If you do 5yy for example, you copy 5 lines. Or if you activate the visual mode and mark a word, and then do the Y (yank) you copy the marked word. You can also do for example 3y in normal mode, and then do for example a movement with the L key. This means you have copied the 3 letters from the corsor and to the right in the text. All these are called yank in Vim-language. Basically yank works in the same manner as d (delete) or dd (delet lines), but yank do not delete, just copy. Everything in the register can be copied back (or pasted) into a text with the commands p or P (put or Paste) p puts the text on the line after the promt, (capital) P just before the promt. I recommend some experimenting to figure out how yank work. It is not difficult.'

A simple y or yy copy the text into a nameless register. If you want to you can give names to registers. If you - in normal mode - do for example "x5yy, then you copy 5 lines into the register x. "xp then put the text from register x into the line after the cursor. (Observe, the command starts with the " sign. To avoid missunderstandings here, the "x5yy command in the example is NOT given at a : sign. You just leave insert mode with the Esc, and then type "x5yy in normal mode. Also observe you can not use captal letters for naming registers. You can have as many registers as the alfaphet allows.) Do you want to se what is in the register, then use the command :registers

hope this helps

regards

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.