28.03.2024, 17:00 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
michael7
Titel: mcedit information  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 14:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
You can find detailed information about mcedit (the internal file editor for the GNU Midnight Commander program) on the man page. Here's a link to the contents:
http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/mcedit1.html

This site lists some of the more popular editors:
http://www.indiwiz.com/linux/browse.php/Apps/texted.php

It refers to mcedit as a "DOS Edit" clone. That's a fair assessment. I began my computer life on a DOS machine and that's one of the reasons I'm comfortable using mcedit. Another reason though is that mcedit is so easy to use. But there are other good editors. Whatever floats your boat...

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel: RE: mcedit information  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 19:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

humbolt, LOL, I was going to say I'd be happy to see the outcome of a race in terms of speed between a competent vi user and a competent advanced text editor user, say KATE, or perhaps Editplus under wine, especially on multiple documents and multiple instances of the application, that would be interesting, but I doubt that vi would win to be honest. But it would be an interesting sight. Currently kate is missing only one significant feature, but it's a major one: multiple line search and replace. Keeping more stuff in front of you eyes means you can keep more of it there, more files, more tabs, whatever, without losing track. There's a limit to what you can keep in your head.

I will probably learn vi one of these days just to have some experience in it, there are some benefits, like being able to affectively edit stuff through ssh for example on another server.

I definitely would not claim the simple user friendly editors like nano or mcedit are equal to more advanced text editors, but normal users don't need those anyway, don't need the functionality. The most they'll do is add a line to apt/sources.list or something.

Humboldt
Titel: Re: RE: mcedit information  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 19:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Feb 2005
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Currently kate is missing only one significant feature, but it's a major one: multiple line search and replace.

I definitely would not claim the simple user friendly editors like nano or mcedit are equal to more advanced text editors, but normal users don't need those anyway, don't need the functionality. The most they'll do is add a line to apt/sources.list or something.

Vim and some other editors can be used in console mode, i e without X. Kate needs X for what I know. So, if you need to do editing without being able to log into X, then you need something else than Kate.

I don´t know what a "normal" user is, but I think you are right...most users don´t need all the Vim stuff most of the time. And many users do never need it. Don´t issunderstand what I am trying to say. Use ANY editor you like, if it is perfect for you, then it is a perfect editor. I just meant, since Vi is standard, it is good to know the basics. And I also tried to say, that different editors can be more or less user friendly, but user friendliness is not everything. Diffrent editors can also do diffrent things, and some editors can do much moore than others. I realise you know this h2, I was just putting it forward as an general information or opinion. Can be nice to know for them who do´t know what differs between them, since learning an editor is kind of an investment.

best regards

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: mcedit information  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 20:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

well put humbolt, and I know that one day, probably just through a process of osmosis, vi will be a familiar tool to me. I know the vim eye candy definitely caught my eye recently, very nicely done, that actually helps a lot in terms of motivating at least me to learn it a bit.

After having spent the last week on a windows networking job, among 'normal users', I can definitely tell you what a normal user is: when you say command line, or move away from anything familiar, etc, they go into full on panic mode. All brain activity ceases. All perception of what is in front of them on the screen vanishes.

Frantic cries for the familiar windows [or osx, or kde/gnome, same idea] software interface emerge from their puckered faces. Once everything is back to normal, and they have their things to click on, they are again happy. Those are the things they always click on, to send emails, connect to the web, create ms office documents, and so on. Sometimes you can trick them, like with firefox, openoffice.org, thunderbird, sometimes you can't, depends on the user.

But in all cases, the cli is far far beyond their abilities, and will always cause panic. In windows, the cli is often referred to as the 'registry', which is just a really weird way to do command line operations. I just learned about how it handles for example the creation of symbolic links, like 'my music' for example, or changing default file open paths in apps.

That's why I always admire on irc when a windows user comes along and has to dip into the cli and doesn't panic, handles it. That is not the norm. And kanotix is doing a good job of attracting those non normal users I'd say.

anyway, sorry to drift the thread off-topic, text editors are of course something I care about since I make most of my living with them. Sadly, linux still has no feature complete gui text editor, although it's getting closer, the kate team have on their todo list everything required to bring kate to the level of something like editplus.

A non-normal user, on the other hand, when confronted with the new or unexpected, says to themselves, hmmm, that's interesting, I wonder how to make that work the way I want it to. Then they google or otherwise research the stuff, go online to ask questions, read some forums postings, etc. Happily, people will pay for this service, LOL...

rich.bradshaw
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: mcedit information  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 21:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Jan 2006

Happily, people will pay for this service, LOL...

Lol, luckily! Good post btw Smilie

anticapitalista
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.05.2006, 14:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2005
I remove KDE stuff I don't use and install

fluxbox
aterm
conky
rox-filer
adesklets/yab
apt-listbugs
checkinstall
irssi
sylpheed-claws
glabels
xmms
abde
mpd

and the usual font/codecs stuff

jesseman
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.05.2006, 16:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Feb 2006
birds of a feather, anticapitalista! I don't know how people use Konsole instead of aterm, or live without conky!

anticapitalista
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.05.2006, 17:57 Uhr

me too jesseman!
Though conky has been playing up on kanotix 2005-04, xorg7. The i2c temp ditectory keeps changing. Sometimes it's i2c 1-004c and other times it's i2c 0-004c.

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.05.2006, 20:06 Uhr
Artist
Artist

Anmeldung: 11. Aug 2005
I'm a nano man myself. I have never gotten around to learning VI and nano has all the commands listed down the bottom so I don't have to remember all the old wordstar commands (which I've mostly forgotten). I don't know how many times it's got me out of trouble when I had no X but it's a lot.
The other thing I use a lot that's not in Kanotix is Teamspeak but that's not something I expect in any distro out of the box.

2radical
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.05.2006, 00:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Dez 2005
I apt installed conky & ran update-menus, but it didn't appear anywhere on the K menu, so I tried to run it from konsole:
root@WorldsEnd:/home/joyboy# conky
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Conky: can't open display: :0.0

What do I need to do? Download some keyring?

spacepenguin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.05.2006, 02:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
Well, first things I install on a Kanotix box are:

anacron
csh
localeconf (for posix sorting of files - german sorting is a pain!)
kjots (no way to live without it anymore Smilie )
kdelibs4-dev (which also means forced removing of gamin and installing libfam - I really would appreciate a kanotix gamin version which is able to coexist with the kde header files!)
kdf
fortune
picwiz
guarddog
guidedog
apt-listbugs
rkhunter
hal-device-manager
synaptic (the one and only)
pwmanager
ksteak, kding or qleo
kickpim (just because of the birthday reminder)
tellico
ufraw (and gimp plugin)
additional gimp files
kshisen
kpat
msttcorefonts
kde-icons-nouvext

After that I remove pmount and replace it with a version with non-capslocked camera file names (I really don't get it why win-bugs have to be mimicked).

And then I do add $HOME/bin to my PATH (would be nice if it would be the default).

Other favorite apps:

gimp
konqueror
kmail
yakuake
amaroK
xmms
kword
kspread
kpdf
vim
kedit
kwrite (for websites)
gwenview (more options), kuickshow (faster)
superkaramba with liquid weather
tusk/chromium
blob wars
frozen-bubble
ksnapshot
xmcd
kdcop

Linux-Userin #213445
LastFM-Musikstatistik für Kanoten
Kanotix, siduction, Kubuntu, antiX

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
anticapitalista
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.05.2006, 08:50 Uhr

2radical hat folgendes geschrieben::
I apt installed conky & ran update-menus, but it didn't appear anywhere on the K menu, so I tried to run it from konsole:
root@WorldsEnd:/home/joyboy# conky
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Conky: can't open display: :0.0

What do I need to do? Download some keyring?

Don't run it as root, 2radical.

Humboldt
Titel: Yakuake  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.05.2006, 10:04 Uhr

Yakuake was mentioned above. Yakuake is one of those simple but amazingly smart programs that, as soon you get used to have it around, you wonder how you managed without it for so many years without missing it.

cheers

Gowator
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.05.2006, 10:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004

This isn't a criticism of vi, it's just noting that vi is just too hard to use for average users who need a quick fix edit in console.

The thing is vi is a dep of loads of packages, its just a *nix taken to be installed.
I honestly don't notice using it anymore but I remember it being a bit frightening ... but actually removing it would be hard I guess.

As someone said its something I rely on to be installed when helping other people...

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
2radical
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.05.2006, 13:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Dez 2005
Zitat:
Verlegen
I'm not usually in the habit of doing that.

beavis
Titel: Re: Yakuake  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.05.2006, 14:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Apr 2004

Humboldt hat folgendes geschrieben::
Yakuake was mentioned above. Yakuake is one of those simple but amazingly smart programs that, as soon you get used to have it around, you wonder how you managed without it for so many years without missing it.

cheers

Yes, I love yakuake! I just can't save a yakuake session with several open tabs. Is it possible?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden ICQ-Nummer 
beavis
Titel: Re: RE: vi tutorial  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.05.2006, 14:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Apr 2004

devil28 hat folgendes geschrieben::
craig,
apt-listbugs will only puzzle new users. i used it for a while, but didnt find it very usefull.

Just use apt-listchanges, it's really nice to see the changes, not the fixed bugs Auf den Arm nehmen

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden ICQ-Nummer 
anticapitalista
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.05.2006, 14:31 Uhr

2radical hat folgendes geschrieben::
Zitat:
Verlegen
I'm not usually in the habit of doing that.

So is it running ok?
I've seen it work in KDE, but some have had problems.

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.05.2006, 10:45 Uhr
Artist
Artist

Anmeldung: 11. Aug 2005
You've sold me on Yakuake. what a pearler!! Cool

Humboldt
Titel: About KDE  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.05.2006, 21:27 Uhr

This could be of some intrest...

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/18/1546209

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.