30.04.2024, 23:49 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
nikohc
Titel: Root user and x  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.08.2006, 05:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 31. Aug 2006

First of all a like to make my congratulation for the Kanotix distribution which is one of the best that I have tryed out.

I have just a question about a little script that I write using Kommander,
I had some trouble have it working, after some debug I found that the root user, which's the default user on my single home pc, don't have the right to access x.
The script have to start kmail, configured by root, if a port portscan is detected.
if i give the command:
~#xhost +
~#export DISPLAY=:0.0

the script start to work but the kmail session started does not have any configuration.
The only way to have the script work propely is close kde and give the
startx.
That confuse me, I was thinking kde was a x manager and I suppose x was running all the time a graphical interface was started.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
bluewater
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.08.2006, 06:52 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 04. Apr 2006
Default user is ROOT?

That is not very smart

You should be set up so you have

User (example = nikohc (password is whatever))

and root (example = root (password is whatever and not the same as user password))

The only way to access root is via the console example = sux then the password for root , except if there is an absolutly dire emegency , otherwise you will probably muck up your permissions

the other way to access root is in an init (for example init 3.. to do a dist-upgrade for example (never do a dist-upgrade
in X)

as for your script,, i will leave that for someone else

and a Production Box, Desktop ICEWM::

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
schnorrer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.08.2006, 09:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

KDM is the manager for X, and kde is the gui.
X is the ServerFramework.

as long as one uses only the console and wants to write emails, use a konsole mailprogram, such as sendmail, pine or any other console-mailprogramm.

nikohc
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.08.2006, 12:34 Uhr

I know everybody complain when the dafault user is root.
But if you are the only user of the workstation that's not connected to any
network and there's only a dial up connection to access internet, to me is good be ROOT.

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.08.2006, 12:42 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
NEVER be root period. If you like root, stick to a windows environment.

Root is NOT good.

But it is YOUR computer. You were warned Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
bluewater
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.08.2006, 13:03 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 04. Apr 2006
nikohc

Dont be daft (god knows i have had my share of daftness)

By conecting to the internet as root (as a user) you are conecting to a network, think about that

Connecting, as as user and doing normal everyday stuff as a user, in Linux gives you the security knowing that under normal circumstances, you will have reduced an infestation of worms , trojans, virus to virtually ummmm nothing,, rootkit stuff does exist I suggest you install rkhunter ASAP

apt-get install rkhunter

to activate
sux
opps forgot you running as root (burglars please take no notice)

to activate
rkhunter -c

and a Production Box, Desktop ICEWM::

Zuletzt bearbeitet von bluewater am 31.08.2006, 14:45 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.08.2006, 13:25 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

And not only from a security level, but any changes you make can b0rk your system, possibly beyond repair. (reinstall)

nikohc
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.08.2006, 18:51 Uhr

Both of you just provide useless info to my question.
Just a lot of of what to or what not to do.
I guess this's free software and i feel free to do what I want whit my stuff!!!
If you don't like to provide any useful info to my question is fine to me
but don't provide also unwanted comment and this time I say PERIOD.

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.08.2006, 19:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
You may make use of kanotix-su or sux, both come pre-installed with kanotix - have a look at it.
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
kb0hae
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 04:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jul 2005

Hi nicohe. In the simplest terms. Being root while on the internet makes it much easier for adware, spyware, viruses, trojans, and rootkits to install themselves on your system. Being root while on the internet or not makes it easier to totally screw up your Linux install to the point where you have to re-install to recover. Why this is so is that root can install and edit files that an ordinary user can't ( and probably shouldn't) install or edit. (unless they know the root password). You can do almost anything as a user that you can do as root by using the File Manager Super User Mode, and Terminal Program Super User Mode. These make you root temporarily, and you are returned to a normal user when you are through. I hope this explanation helps you understand why it is not a good idea to be root all the time.

It is true that you can do as you wish on your own system. However, I have found that the people who answered you know what they are talking about, and to follow their advice is usually a good thing.

The choice is yours.

jackiebrown
Titel: Re: Root user and x  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 04:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
nikohc hat folgendes geschrieben::

the script start to work but the kmail session started does not have any configuration.
The only way to have the script work properly is close kde and give the
startx.
That confuse me, I was thinking kde was a x manager and I suppose x was running all the time a graphical interface was started.

Well, I don't agree either with root as default. But that said... on to your question

Were you running root the first time you set up kmail?

If you weren't then your config files are probably set up under you user directory.

Also

You can add root as a login choice.

Go to /etc/kde3/kdm and open kdmrc

change AllowRootLogin=false to true

piper
Titel: RE: Re: Root user and x  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 06:08 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

adware, spyware,trojans

You will not find on linux

Running root, your machine WILL be takin over by someone, That I can promise, I don't care if you use a router, you will also NOT know, if the person is good enough. If your on wireless, I feel sorry for you, as you have a greater chance of being took.

gammaray
Titel: X as root  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2006, 11:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Sep 2006

piper hat folgendes geschrieben::
NEVER be root period. If you like root, stick to a windows environment.

Root is NOT good.

But it is YOUR computer. You were warned Winken

If I'm not wrong the whole X server is runing with root privileges.Default by his nature.
Wich is very bad for all linux distros Böse
The only OS without this evil habit is OpenBSD.

slh
Titel: RE: X as root  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2006, 14:19 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

X doesn't need to run as root, neither on OpenBSD nor on linux - unless you want a display manager like kdm, gdm, xdm, wdm, ...

No one stops you from doing:
Code:
unfreeze-rc.d
update-rc.d -f kdm remove
update-rc.d -f xdm remove
freeze-rc.d

...logging into a text console and running 'startx', nothing but your own "lazyness" Winken

Once you run any of the aforementioned display managers on OpenBSD, X will happily run under UID 0 on OpenBSD as well, so much for usability and blame shifting.

--
And actually it drops all privileges to the user who'll log in, except the small stub needed to run the dm itself.

nikohc
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.09.2006, 17:22 Uhr

I take good note about the default user suggestions and I'm not logging in as root for daily use anymore.

I solve the first problem, which was having the script running from normal user, giving by konsole

"xhost local:root"

After that the kmail session still not belong from root user, because the font size and icons are different from the one that I set login as root user.
The first time I start kmail login as root.
There' s any command to have the normal user kmail started instead the root kmail as I login as normal user now?

Niko

Gowator
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 11:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
nikohc hat folgendes geschrieben::
I take good note about the default user suggestions and I'm not logging in as root for daily use anymore.

I solve the first problem, which was having the script running from normal user, giving by konsole

"xhost local:root"

After that the kmail session still not belong from root user, because the font size and icons are different from the one that I set login as root user.
The first time I start kmail login as root.
There' s any command to have the normal user kmail started instead the root kmail as I login as normal user now?

Niko

you can do a few things....
1) You can use kdesu on Kmail... I think this will then use the fonts etc. from the user... so test it with kdesu kmail at the cli
2) You can redirect the root mail to your user mail... (using a .forward)
3) You can set the stuff like logs to mail your user account not root account
4) Use something like sylpheed-claws for the root mail instead
5) Recursively Change the ownership on the /root/Mail directory so that it belongs to the same group as your user and then set kmail to receive the root mail as well. You can filter it into a seperate "folder"

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.