07.05.2024, 14:48 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
al3
Titel: KDE: Korganizer icon won't 'stick' in sys tray after restart  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.01.2006, 22:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005

I've been all over the net on this and no one can figure it out.

Installed new 04 Kanotix to wife's laptop. Works fine, except the session manager does not save the Korganizer icon. When I start up it is not there, even though it was there when I shut down. Here are a few items that might help you help me:

1. The icon (tiny blue calendar with a bell on it) is NOT for korganizer but for a program called korgac. If you run korgac (not as root) up will pop the icon in tray.

2. I've made sure the right-click on the icon 'start up' boxes are checked.

3. I've checked the KDE Control Panel Session Manager to make sure it is set to restore previous session. I also tried using "restore manual save"... and did a manual save. Not dice!

3. If I start up Knotes, its icon goes in tray and IT will show at restart.... but not korgac.

The only thing that works is to put a link in the kde Autostart folder to /usr/bin/korgac. But that is a HACK and I want to know the CAUSE.

On my Debian partition with KDE it works fine without the hack.

I've looked in the config files for lots of programs until I've about turned (kde) blue!!! My guess is a faulty session manager module? I can't figure out what tells the session manager WHAT to save to where so it can be restored.

Do any of you have a similar problem with a 'service' icon not reappearing after restart? I'm baffled.

Al

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Kano
Titel: KDE: Korganizer icon won  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.01.2006, 22:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

There are some autostart files removed - because they should not startup when the cd is booting. This can cause the issues that you describe.

al3
Titel: RE: KDE: Korganizer icon won  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.01.2006, 13:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005

Not the issue here because Korganizer autostarts in system tray on my tower without putting anything in the autostart folder... but not on wife's laptop UNLESS I put it in autostart. Very weird. But laptops can be weird too.

UncleDeadley
Titel: RE: KDE: Korganizer icon won  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.07.2006, 22:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Jun 2006
I have the same problem with korgac not starting on reboot. I also use a notebook computer. I am running Easter RC4. I am not sure where the appropriate autostart folder is. I searched and found one in my home, called .kde/Autostart. So, I made the link there. When my model gets done running I'll restart KDE and see if it takes. Anyone have more info?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.07.2006, 23:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

My information box says it's the Korganizer Reminder daemon (korgac) - right clicking allows me to tick "Start reminder daemon at login"

drb

UncleDeadley
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 00:06 Uhr

drb hat folgendes geschrieben::
My information box says it's the Korganizer Reminder daemon (korgac) - right clicking allows me to tick "Start reminder daemon at login"

drb

I have the same box checked, but it still doesn't start. My model hasn't finished yet, so I still haven't had a chance to restart and see if my shortcut worked.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 00:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

If it's a daemon, it may be frozen by the kanotix init.d freeze stuff. I just dumped that and now use sysv-rc-conf, which is a command line, but more or less gui looking, daemon manager. It's very pleasant, at least to me. There is the drawback of having to stop services you've stopped when they upgrade in a dist-upgrade, but other than that it works nicely. rcconf is another version of that but I haven't used it, I think it's simpler.

The plus of sysv-rc-conf is that I know what services I'm running now on startup, and when each one starts in the boot sequence.

However, be aware, installing sysv-rc-conf will get rid of the freeze/unfreeze feature of kanotix, so don't do it if you want to keep that feature. It can get irksome having some brand new service/daemon start from out of nowhere after a dist-upgrade, which is what the freeze stuff protected you from.

UncleDeadley
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 18:05 Uhr

Adding that shortcut to .kde/autostart worked. Now korgac starts up after reboots.

h2: Thanks for the suggestions! one day when I have more time I'll have to look into that. Right now, I really need to get work done. Gotta graduate! No time to play around and bork system Traurig Which is a shame, because that's when I learn things.

jk
Titel: Re: KDE: Korganizer icon won  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.09.2006, 03:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Apr 2006

Kano hat folgendes geschrieben::
There are some autostart files removed - because they should not startup when the cd is booting. This can cause the issues that you describe.

I was testing out 2006-01-RC1 and had this problem. I resolved it by reinstalling korganizer. Maybe the /usr/share/autostart files should be added back on a hd install or have an option to restore the autostart files.

jk

Swynndla
Titel: RE: Re: KDE: Korganizer icon won  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.09.2006, 05:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
I personally don't use the freeze stuff either, as it seems to cause more problems than is fixes ... it used to be like this for me:
when I install an app, I don't know that it's daemon based, and I have problems the next day when I turn my pc on, and I wonder why.
Now I don't have that problem.

I've seen several posts where people new to kanotix fall into that trap.

It's easy to turn the freeze stuff off, just do "unfreeze-rc.d" and don't turn it on again. Or it could be removed with apt-get.

I still use rcconf to see what's running and I can turn services (daemons) on and off with it (if I need to). I'm sure unfreeze-rc.d would be good too.

As for newbies, I guess what I'm saying is, it's easier for a long-time kanotix user to remember to check for new services after a d-u than it is for a newbie (who shouldn't be doing a dist upgrade in the first place in my opinion) to figure out why something wont stick after reboot.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.