28.03.2024, 09:36 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
miliet
Titel: Fromiso again...  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2006, 16:33 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Okt 2006

Hello everybody:

This is my first time in the forum, but i'm Kanotix user since two years. I'm very happy with this great distro, but i'm in trouble with "2006-01-RC4 Release" trying to start it with fromiso cheatcode.

I've followed WIKI and FAQ to configure it in a FAT32 partition. 2006-01-RC3 works perfectly with fromiso, but last release 2006-01-RC4 gives me the following error message after select it in GRUB menu.

Uncompressing Linux...OK, booting the kernel.
PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6:10000@f4000000 for 0000:01:00.0

Welcome to the KANOTIX Live Linux-on-CD!
Can't find KANOTIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell
Press reset button to quit.

I've thought the file can be corrupted, but i've checked it with md5 and is ok.

Any ideas?? Thank you.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ockham23
Titel: RE: Fromiso again...  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2006, 16:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Unfortunately, there appears to be a bug in RC4 that prevents fromiso to work when the image file is stored on a FAT32 partition. NTFS and Linux ext2/ext3/reiserfs partitions work fine, though.

piper
Titel: RE: Fromiso again...  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2006, 17:00 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
You could try this, I don't know if you will understand this any better than the wiki or faq. You will have to change your hda to fat32 (maybe vfat ?)

Create a folder in that partition and name it Kanotix, copy or cut the iso image into that folder.

This is configured for my drives, so you will have to change it accordingly to your setup.

mkdir -p /mnt/test (enter)
mount -t iso9660 -o loop,ro /media/hda14/Kanotix/KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4.iso /mnt/test (enter)
cp /mnt/test/boot/vmlinuz /media/hda14/Kanotix/ (enter)
cp /mnt/test/boot/miniroot.gz /media/hda14/Kanotix/ (enter)

edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add this to it

### ISO boot
title Kanotix 32bit from ISO
kernel (hd0,13)/Kanotix/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init fromiso=/Kanotix/KANO*.iso lang=en-utf8 apm=power-off nomce vga=791 quiet noprompt noeject
initrd (hd0,13)/Kanotix/miniroot.gz

file > save > close, and reboot, this works fine for me, I haven't done this from a fat partition though and actually do it from a reiserfs partition.

EDIT Just read ockham23's post after I posted, I never knew that for fat partition.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
slam
Titel: RE: Fromiso again...  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2006, 18:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
@miliet: You need to extract to new kernel (vmlinuz and miniroot.gz) from the RC4 and copy it beside the iso-file, as described by piper. By the way, you can open and copy from iso files without mounting from inside mc by simply highlighting the file and pressing enter.
@ochham23: I Would like to hear more about this bug - works fine here after testing it again.
@piper: The biggest problem at the moment with fromiso seems to be path names too long - so best advice is fromiso=/iso/KANO*.iso.
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
ockham23
Titel: RE: Fromiso again...  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2006, 18:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

@slam: Booting off LiveCD with cheat code fromiso failed on two different computers when iso file was stored on FAT32 partition, http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t ... art-2.html

miliet
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2006, 21:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Okt 2006

Thank you all for your answers.

It must be a bug in this release because i can't launch Kanotix with "fromiso" in my FAT32 partition, but in REISERF i can. I've updated my HD installation to RC4.

Piper, i'd followed all your config advises, because i'd read it in another post but i don't know the reason they don't work in my computer. Thanks anyway.

Winken

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.