28.03.2024, 17:45 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
trevatxtal
Titel: Full Debian  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.09.2006, 10:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 11. Feb 2005
Hello all
I now have dicovered how to run kanotix as root, Now a full Debian system is working on my machines HD. many thanks to all that enabled this.
Sehr glücklich

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
mzilikazi
Titel: RE: Full Debian  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.09.2006, 13:26 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
Run Kanotix as root? Do you mean that you are logging into KDE as root? That is not only a bad idea but completely unnecessary.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
DeepDayze
Titel: RE: Full Debian  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.09.2006, 14:03 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

create an ordinary user account, then if you need to run some program as root (for example installing packages) use su or sux. As mzilikazi pointed out, NEVER run as root!!!

PlatinumPlus
Titel: RE: Full Debian  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 08:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 30. Nov 2005
I'm so used to root I even forget my user name Traurig

devil
Titel: RE: Full Debian  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 08:08 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
tztz

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

piper
Titel: RE: Full Debian  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 18:00 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
mzilikazi
Titel: Re: RE: Full Debian  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 21:02 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
PlatinumPlus hat folgendes geschrieben::
I'm so used to root I even forget my user name Traurig

Code:
ls /home

You can change your user password too as root:
Code:
# passwd <username>

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
DeepDayze
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Full Debian  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.11.2006, 23:02 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

not hard to create a new user as well, so as root:

Code:
# adduser <username>

shame
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.11.2006, 02:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Apr 2006
Maybe he/she meant running something in as root in livecd?
kanotix-installer?

trevatxtal
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.11.2006, 17:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 11. Feb 2005
Following up my
Hello all
I now have dicovered how to run kanotix as root, Now a full Debian system is working on my machines HD. many thanks to all that enabled this.

Yes run KDE and every thing else as root. When nessasary
I normaly run as a user but when setting up Apache2 to run a web site and to alter other parameters such as permissions to keep su ing is a pain.
I have three versions of linux on my machine only Kanotix tryed to block running as root, I am sure the compilers of Kanotix had their reasons but I could not think why.
Suse and Redhat do not block running as root, with no problems.
I never did get a Debian system runing well useing the Debian instal but Kanotix was just so easy.
Again many thanks.
For the few that would like to run as root email me at admin @ xtal.info

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.11.2006, 21:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

trevatxtal, I don't know where you got your ideas from, but think you might want to actually learn how to use the system.

If you want to stay logged in as root, you use your konsole window, su to root, then do whatever you need to get done, as root. When you're done, you su <username> and that's it. One login.

If you need to edit many configuration files, you can use the kde konqueror file browser, or krusader file browser, opened in su mode. That feature is specifically created for this very instance, when you need to edit several files or change permissions etc of stuff owned by root.

There is absolutely no reason to login as root to kde itself, and doing so is an error, not a solution, and it's not something to be proud of figuring out how to do, it's a mistake. You can leave the root mode file browser, and the root mode konsole tab, open as long as you like while still being logged in as user mode to your desktop.

It's not clear to me where ideas like this come from by the way, certainly not from anywhere in the linux or unix world, so I guess it's something that drifted in from windows, where perpetual admin mode login is the norm still. In linux world, this problem was solved quite a long time ago.

Gowator
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.11.2006, 15:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
trevatxtal, I don't know where you got your ideas from, but think you might want to actually learn how to use the system.

If you want to stay logged in as root, you use your konsole window, su to root, then do whatever you need to get done, as root. When you're done, you su <username> and that's it. One login.

If you need to edit many configuration files, you can use the kde konqueror file browser, or krusader file browser, opened in su mode. That feature is specifically created for this very instance, when you need to edit several files or change permissions etc of stuff owned by root.

There is absolutely no reason to login as root to kde itself, and doing so is an error, not a solution, and it's not something to be proud of figuring out how to do, it's a mistake. You can leave the root mode file browser, and the root mode konsole tab, open as long as you like while still being logged in as user mode to your desktop.

It's not clear to me where ideas like this come from by the way, certainly not from anywhere in the linux or unix world, so I guess it's something that drifted in from windows, where perpetual admin mode login is the norm still. In linux world, this problem was solved quite a long time ago.

Anyone who knows the first thing about linux could log in as root in 10 seconds... its not something clever .. its changing 3 letters in kdmrc .. its documented and its certainly not clever....

Loggin into a GUI as root is not only pointless its completely stupid unless you are trying to destroy the system deliberatly... because all it takes is one error and you can create one heck of a mess... I don't mean rm -rf .. I mean little things like copying files and changing ownership and permissions...

suddenly (though not always straight after) things go horribly wrong... maybe its the next login or maybe its the next time you close and app and reload it...
Zitat:

@PlatinumPlus wrote:
I'm so used to root I even forget my user name

Hmm i was wondering how you managed to drag the device icons to another folder...

This is just one example from the last post I answered...
(btw my answer won't work because you weon't have permissions unless you do it as root) because you created the mess as root...
A normal user wouldn't have been able to create that mess since root owns the .desktop entries...

As someone said, use krusador it is designed to protect you more...
The bottom line is KDE was not designed for anyone to run as root...
You can even for web dev run as www-data for the konqueror/krusador this makes sure all the perms are OK... and that is what kdesu and these tools are for...

There is NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING that needs root access to a desktop
[/quote]

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.11.2006, 15:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
Is this logging-in-as-root-pest because of XP? From a user point of view my first contact with a more sophisticated system was Windows NT and then Windows 2000. I had both systems running as user, w2k as non privileged user, which I learnt from a good friend of mine who was trainer for desktopsystems on Windows (I myself am not an IT professional).

Then XP came along, I had a laptop with XP Home, created a user account and was not asked for the level of privileges. It took me days to find out that I had root privileges which was really weird for me.

In 2004 I switched to Linux, and everything was normal again: root and non privileged user. It never occured to me to log in as root - it was a pest for me, and I did not do it in w2k or XP either. "run as ..." was the command of choice, and when a badly written program wanted to create userinformation in C:\programs\$shittyprogram\$userprofile, I just gave that folder the special rights for the user.

And: asking about how to log in totally as root was not a common question when I started using Linux (Fedora mailing lists), but within the last months there were so many "how do I log into KDE as root"-threads, that I only have one solution for that: people switch from XP, they do not know w2k anymore, and it's burnt into their brains: a system does not work properly if you are not root.

Is it just my impression?

hubi

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.