28.03.2024, 16:40 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
fraxinus
Titel: backports?  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.07.2008, 09:31 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Jul 2008
Dear friends,

I downloaded Thorhammer RC7 recently and installed it as a guest OS on my main computer (which currently runs PCLinuxOS 2007) using VMWare Server. I am really impressed with its configurability and responsiveness. The fact that it will be STABLE appeals to me, and it also also give me a chance to learn more about Debian (I have only used RPM-based distros to date).

I'm an editor and graphic designer. If I was to adopt it as my main OS, it would be very helpful if I was able to run more up-to-date versions of a few key packages than Debian Etch provides. I am thinking of OpenOffice 2.2 or above, Gimp 2.3 or above (important to me, as this provides proper colour management for digital images!) and Scribus 1.3.3.

Is it possible, or practical, to install these packages to Kanotix? If it means me experimenting or doing a bit of work, I do not mind!Winken

I do not want the latest versions of packages "just because they are there", but certain programs continue to acquire new functions that I find extremely useful.

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Daddy-G
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.07.2008, 12:34 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Mar 2005

Hello

Current stable OpenOffice 2.4.1 is backported here:
http://kanotix.com/files/fix/ooo-de/
(don't know if ooo-de means default English + German)

Afaik is Gimp not backported here, and I didn' see it in debian backports, too.

Scribus 1.3.3.11 is in etch-backports of debian. Normally should work with Kanotix.
Inkscape (if you need) is in the (normal) Thorhammer backports, but still 0.45 not newest 0.46

Zuletzt bearbeitet von Daddy-G am 14.07.2008, 19:30 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

fraxinus
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.07.2008, 13:02 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Jul 2008
Daddy-G: many thanks for your kind response! (and for guessing that I'd be interested in Inkscape too ...)

I shall play around with my virtual setup and see how I get on.

I have been delighted with this distro so far, and would like to see if I can take it further for use in my work.

Regards.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.